View Menu


Our hugely popular practical Demonstrations are back for 2018! These are hour long sessions involving a briefing led by industry experts, discussions with interested parties combined with practical demonstration. The demos will give you great insight into the specific topic as well as the opportunity to ask questions and see equipment at work.

11.00 – 12.00 Wind

Facilitated by Mike Pearson, Principal Gurteen College

The Wind demonstration will take place at the Gurteen College wind turbine. A number of speakers present will discuss the installation of small scale auto producers and large scale wind turbines. Planning, Grid, The forthcoming renewable electricity support scheme, financial discussions will take place with industry experts to inform the attendees how best to proceed with their project. The experience of the Gurteen College wind turbine will also be a topic of discussion and how to maximise use of your wind energy.

Participants include:


12.00 – 13.00 Solar PV

Facilitated by Paul Kenny, TEA

The PV demonstration will include an overview of the technology and a discussion about quality standards of equipment and the costs and returns of installation of the equipment. The session will focus mainly on farm scale PV for self consumption and focus on the information that would be useful to farmers in maximizing the return on investment and the supports available. There will be an additional short discussion on large scale solar. The  Attendees will hear from a range of speakers including a representative of the planning authority. Topics will include the installation and maintenance of the equipment and how best to use the electricity. The design attributes to maximise yield and performance in addition to the installation of battery storage and residual heat dumps to maximise the use on site will also be discussed as part of the demonstration.

Participants include:

13.00 – 14.00 Wood Mobilisation

Facilitated by Barry Caslin, Teagasc

Wood mobilisation, the sustainable harvesting and supply of timber from the forest to processors and end users, is recognised as one of most significant challenges which needs addressing. Wood and biomass mobilisation is one of the key topics to be addressed at the Energy in Agriculture event.  Estimates by SEAI show that current policies will not deliver 12% renewable energy in the heat sector by 2020, indicating that additional action is required. The estimated shortfall will be in the region of 2 to 4 percentage points of the 12%, equating to approximately 200 ktoe or 2,300 GWh. This represents about 1 to 2 percentage points in terms of the overall national target of 16% mandated to Ireland under the 2009 Renewable Energy Directive.

The growth of a Renewable Heat sector would help the biomass supply chain to mature and stimulate regional demand for forest thinnings, energy crops and other sources of biomass. Many farmers have invested also in energy crops, and in some cases are left with no local market for the harvested crop. It can be expected that the growth of a renewable heat sector would help the biomass energy supply chain to mature and stimulate regional demand for forest thinnings, energy crops and other sources of biomass.

Participants include

• Marina Conway, Western Forestry Co-op More about Marina
• Michael Somers, Teagasc
• Owen Power, Enerpower More about Owen
• Tim Minett, CPL More about Tim
• Ken Worrell, Worrell Harvesting.

15.00 – 16.00 Anaerobic Digestion

Facilitated by Tom Short, IFA

The need to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions from Irish agriculture is driving interest in on-farm biogas plants. Experts, from the Irish farming, energy, biomass and waste industry and Irish research institutes will join an outdoor panel discussion to speak about the potential for and the challenges facing the development of on-farm biogas plants in Ireland. This demo will focus on different options which could be available to make the digestion of livestock slurry more attractive for the farmer than the present systems or status quo of slurry/manure management. It will also highlight other advantages which digestion can offer, such as reduced GHG emissions, farm energy substitution, efficient nutrient recycling, and other environmental benefits, all of which could be the source of additional financial benefits.Topics to be discussed include –

The economic potential for on- farm / food waste biogas plants
The barriers and incentives for the establishment of on-farm biogas plants in Ireland.
On-farm biogas plants in Europe- a continental perspective.
Utilisation of digestate on agricultural land
Policies promoting the production and use of biogas
Planning issues with Anaerobic Digestion facilities
Issues with connecting to the national electricity grid
Use of biomethane from AD in the Irish gas grid
Sustainability criteria for biogas
GHG emission savings with biogas

Participants include:



Check out the live demos from 2016