Energy in Agriculture 2017 takes place at Gurteen College, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary.
The following is some information on renewable energy at the venue
Gurteen College has installed a 50 kilowatt wind turbine beside its main campus. Manufactured in Canada, supplied and constructed by Renewable Energy Systems, the turbine should supply much of the College’s electricity needs. The project was grant aided by Sustainable Energy Ireland and generously co-funded by the Julia Trench Trust.
Other energy efficiency projects are being planned at the moment including biomass fuelled heating systems and use of insulation to reduce fuel use. It is hoped that within 2 years the College will have reduced its total energy usage by at least 50%.
Wood Chip Boilers and Willow
In September 2010 the College installed a totally new heating system, based on two high efficiency wood chip boilers.
15 hectares of willow was planted to provide fuel for the system. To minimise risk of losses due to disease, different varieties of willow were planted in adjacent plots, by autumn 2010 many of the plants had exceeded 2 metres in height.
In February 2011 a new 270 metre sq. drying floor was installed within the farm building complex in readiness for the future harvested chipped willow, which will be reduced to 55% moisture to 25% in the process, the plant also has been of great use drying corn and hay.
It is envisaged that harvesting will be every 2 years if yields are satisfactory.
Accommodation in Roscrea
- Abbey Court Hotel – Dublin Road, Nenagh, Co Tipperary – 067 41111 (15 miles from venue)
- County Arms Hotel – Station Road, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9120791 (8 miles from venue)
- Dooly’s Hotel – Emmet Square, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9120032 (8 miles from venue)
- Racket Hall Hotel – Dublin Road, Roscrea, Co Tipperary – 0505 21748 (15 miles from venue)
Guest Houses & B&Bs:
- Spinners – Castle Street, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9123779 (8 miles from venue)
- Aoonach – Syngefield, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9121333 (8 miles from venue)
- Emmet House – Emmet Square, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9169885 (8 miles from venue)
- Minnocks– Clonkelly, Roscrea Road, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9120591 (9 miles from venue)
- Ormond House – Emmet Square, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9120291 (8 miles from venue)
- The Maltings – Castle Street, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9121345 (8 miles from venue)
- The Ring Farmhouse – Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9120976 (8 miles from venue)
- The Stables – Oxmantown Mall, Birr, Co Offaly – 057 9121677 (8 miles from venue)
Please link to Tipperary Tourism for further options.